This morning it hit me – Winter is coming.
I was walking to work from my car with my coat pulled tightly around me and started to appreciate the cooler weather – I’m typically a Summer-loving kind of girl. My first thought naturally turned to running and how much easier it is in the crisp coolness of Winter. Sure it’s a struggle getting out of bed and out of your jim jams. There really is nothing better than breathing that fresh air into your lungs and clocking up the kilometres before returning home to a hot cooked breakfast and a steaming cup of coffee though. Oh and that lovely hot shower after a run. Bliss.
Here are my top 10 reasons why Winter running trumps Summer running.
- You don’t have to worry any more about sweat running into your eyes and stinging them, or your sunglasses fogging up causing you to run blind.
- There’s no need to carry 10L of water and stop every few kms for a sip of now warm liquid to quench your unquenchable thirst.
- Long runs can now be done at an hour acceptable for being awake rather than at a stroke past midnight to avoid the searing heat.
- No more worrying about whether your legs are tanned enough to wear shorts because you can wear long tights every goddamn day – this goes double for shaving your legs.
- Running in the afternoon will once more be pleasant, rather than feeling as though you are slogging it out in the burning depths of hell.
- If it is raining and you’re running you get to feel at least 50 per cent more hard-core, rather than when it’s crazy hot and you just feel like you’re about to die.
- Obviously a change in season means a whole new Winter running wardrobe.
- You burn more calories running in the cold so you know what bonus that brings – more food!
- Nothing tops the scent of a crisp, cool Winter morning and while it’s a bit harder to breathe and definitely harder to leave the comfort of your warm bed, it really is the best time of the day. What better way to enjoy it than hitting the road/trail?!
- Let’s face it, running any time of the year is awesome!
What do you prefer – Summer running or Winter running? Do you have another to add to the list? Leave a comment below!